The door is closing on holiday ordering, but I must extend a proverbial foot into the jamb and add these new coffees:
- El Salvador Finca Kilimanjaro; I was trying to stash this vacuum packed gem for late season, but there has been too much demand. If you know this special coffee from years past, all I can say is it’s fantastic once again, many say better than last year.
- Colombia “Los Pijaos de Tolima” (3 Star); a blend that we build one tiny lot at a time through ourdirect trade program. Tolimas have been consistently my favorite Colombias in recent harvests
- Colombia Organic “Union de Nariño” (3 Star); our first certified Grown without the use of artificial fertilizers, herbicides, etc.: Organic coffee has been grown according to organic farming techniques, typically without the use of artificial fertilizers. Some farms have more local Organic Certification than the Farm Gate Coffee is the name we give to our direct trade coffee buying program. Farm Gate pricing means that we have negotiated a price directly with the farmer "at the farm gate," that is, coffee from Colombian coffee is highly marketed and widely available in the US. They have been largely successful at equating the name Colombian Coffee with "Good" Coffee. This is half-true. Colombian can be very balanced, with good, built from micro-lots in the town of La Union. Both these lots were shipped vacuum packed, and are vibrantly fresh.
- Kenya AB Auction Lot #768 -Rukira; Our very last main crop auction lot Kenya is the East African powerhouse of the coffee world. Both in the cup, and the way they run their trade, everything is topnotch.: Kenya is the East African powerhouse of the coffee world. Both until Refers to fresh shipments of green coffee within the first month or two of the earliest arrivals ... not quite the same as Current Crop, which means the most recent harvest. As a stable dried, vivid fruits, and mercifully moderate Acidity is a positive flavor attribute in coffee, also referred to as brightness or liveliness. It adds a brilliance to the cup, whereas low acid coffees can seem flat. Acidity can sound unattractive. People may.
- Sumatra Onan Ganjang Cultivar; A specific type of coffee shrub from the Lintong area, this was something I found on my recent trip there. It has a classic cup, intense, brutish, potent … and is quite different from other Lintong coffees.
- Espresso Workshop #1 – The Ophiolite Blend; I am really excited about this blend, and our new A small coffee beverage, about 20 ml, prepared on an espresso machine where pressurized hot water extracted through compressed coffee.: In its most stripped-down, basic form, this is a working definition for espresso: A small approach. We are dividing our blends into “Standards”, blends we maintain consistently, and these Espresso Workshop “editions”, things I have hammered out in the Cupping is a method of tasting coffee by steeping grounds in separate cups for discrete amounts of ground coffee, to reveal good flavors and defects to their fullest. It has formal elements and methodology in lab above the offices here at Sweet Maria’s. These are lot-specific offerings, meaning that when the particular coffees in the mix are out, the blend “edition” is retired. What’s an ophiolite? Ask Wikipedia … or just read the review to see why I chose a geologic term… Tom